My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The ultimate meaning of life is to embrace that which compels you to act in spite of fear.

Monday, January 23, 2006

I came, I saw, I voted

Another federal election down. For me, at least. Around 2 o'clock this afternoon, at a local middle school, I went into the booth and marked an "X" beside... Well, I won't say. I will say, however, that my choice would please some friends and family members and would no doubt piss off others. I'm being vague, but my choice at the ballot box was clear. Such is the beauty and power of voting: It's you, a piece of paper, and a pencil. It's not about what your friends and family will think. It's about the country as a whole, and the stranger on the street. I watched as old voters shuffled past a gymnasium filled with kids too young to vote. Our votes are for their future. I know, this all sounds pretty platitudinous. But who the hell else do we vote for, ultimately? The squirrels in the trashcan? Well, I suppose that depends on which party you vote for.

Speaking of furry little animals, we're getting our puppy this afternoon. Maybe that's why I'm so sentimental.

Puppy. National election coverage. The excitement is almost too much to bear.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe Mahoney said...

Congrats on the dog! Dogs are great. We had one for awhile but wound up giving him to a friend... he's now the unofficial mascot of the TSO. The timing was bad for us... got the dog, found out we were having twins a month or two later. The first year of having twins and having a (rather unruly) pooch didn't quite work.

2:20 PM  
Blogger oakwriter said...

Thanks, Joe! Yeah, I like dogs. Haven't owned one since I was 6 years old. So it's actually lots of fun. Hearing him yelp at 3:15 a.m. is less fun, however. :-)

The TSO. Wild! I can understand your decision. Twins and a dog... That would've been quite the trio. haha.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home