My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The ultimate meaning of life is to embrace that which compels you to act in spite of fear.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I've been tagged

Matt Watts has tagged me with this Fun Joel meme.

What was your earliest film-related memory?

When I went to see Pinocchio with my older brother. It was in Haileybury, 1971. I don't remember much except that I really liked the popcorn and just wanted the little wooden boy to get the hell out of the whale's stomach.

What was your earliest cool film-related memory?

When I saw Jaws at the Towne Cinema (Markham's only theatre in those days). It was the summer of 1975. I was eight years old. The buzz around the movie had spread to my day camp. (I only went to day camp for one week as a child, which suited me fine.) Kids had been talking about this HUGE shark. The counsellors wanted to get us into crafts with beads or dried corn or something; I just wanted to talk about the shark.

Favorite lines from movies?

(With possible/likely inaccuracies)

“Ah yes, Juicy Fruit" - Chief's first words to McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
"And Del ... when you speak, have a point!" - Steve Martin to John Candy in Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Anything from This is Spinal Tap. And lots of lines from Monty Python.
"I'm a hustler. Didn't I tell ya?" - Joe Buck to Ratzo in Midnight Cowboy
"My man is so cool, sheep count him." - from David Mamet's Heist
"Coffee is for closers." - Alex Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross
Rutger Hauer's lines during his character's death scene in Blade Runner.

Jobs You’d Do if You Could Not Work In “The Biz”:

Teacher or historical tour guide
Firefighter (I'd have to beef up)
Pilot (or anything to do with travel or motion or speed)
I considered being a lawyer once. Before that I considered being a surgeon.
Detective work has always held some allure for me, but I couldn't do it. Let's be real: I interview people for stories, not to put them away.
Druid would be cool. Oh wait, we don't have those anymore. It's tough enough being a Bard.

Name jobs you have actually held outside The Industry.

Credit rep for an oil company
Lab worker in the food industry
Front desk in an marketing agency
Painter, dishwasher, landscaper, and a shipper/receiver - at different times, mind you
One fall I worked in the factory of a Scarborough display company, assembling the entire Santa Claus house/yard for the Scarborough Town Centre.
Many more jobs....

Book authors I like:
H.G. Wells, Ian McEwan, Roddy Doyle, Jonathan Lethem, Thomas Hardy, Edgar Allan Poe, George Orwell, Ray Bradbury, Joseph Heller (Catch-22), Douglas Coupland, Stuart McLean, Evelyn Waugh, Frank Herbert (Dune), Dostoevsky, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Stephen Fry...

Name two movies you would like to remake or properties you’d like to adapt:
At this moment, I honestly don't know. I've never really considered doing a remake or an adaptation. Not enough to have two answers at the ready.

Name one screenwriter you think is underrated:
I’m stealing Matt's answer … All of them.

Three people I’m tagging to answer this meme next:
Not sure... I don't know any other bloggers in "the Biz". My old friends are regular, non-media folk. So I guess that's it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fun Joel said...

Thanks for playing along, and for the shout out! Great to read the responses. :-)

10:26 PM  
Blogger oakwriter said...

Hi Joel! Thanks for the meme. It was fun to do one just for the Industry. And for blog tag! :-)

7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home