My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The ultimate meaning of life is to embrace that which compels you to act in spite of fear.

Thursday, November 24, 2005

W.O.W. or not

So I rented War of the Worlds. You see, I had to go to the store anyway, to rent a video game. I caved in and rented W.O.W.

Which it didn't. It didn't wow me. Though there are some moments of good acting, the characters are annoying. And while it has some big, fancy effects, the film is like a Spielberg combo plate. At one point there is Jaws music ... just as the alien tripod is about to attack! You almost expect to see the "Land Shark" from S.N.L.

Worst of all, there is no dread. Effects without dread are just not thrilling.

I got halfway through the flick and stopped it. I watched Weeds instead.

I'll just take the DVD back. Oh well. At least the file of the book is still intact in my brain.

Phew, that was close...

Now that's dread!

5 Comments:

Blogger Joe Mahoney said...

Thanks for the warning, Tom... as an SF fan I probably would have rented it eventually. The fifties version is pretty good, though... I actually own a copy.

Joe

7:22 AM  
Blogger oakwriter said...

You're welcome, Joe. I'll have to look for the 50s version. Which reminds me, I've yet to see the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers and the original version of The Fly!

1:10 PM  
Blogger oakwriter said...

Haha. Blog on the brain. :-) The word blog has intruded on some of my sentences as well. Call them blogappropisms!

Yes, I've heard that! I've seen the Blob. It was fun. But I haven't see those others. And I won't likely find them at my local Blockbuster. I'll have to take a trip to the Annex!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

it's been a while since i've seen either, but in terms of re-makes, i remember the 70's version of Body Snatchers being far superior to the original. Donald Sutherland and Jeff Goldblum? Magic.

10:48 PM  
Blogger oakwriter said...

I remember my friends really getting into the 70s remake. Yes, I'll have to watch them both. Well, I saw a few minutes of the 70s one on City TV years ago. There definitely seemed to be a real sense of intrigue.

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home