My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The ultimate meaning of life is to embrace that which compels you to act in spite of fear.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Staying Alive on Metro Morning

I've realized something. The little Metro Morning tune on CBC Radio One sounds a little bit like "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees. It sounds crazy, but I always find myself singing it during the show. Okay. Get the tune into your head and work with me here: "Deedel deedel deedel dit dit da deedel deedel deedel, staying alive, staying alive...."

Ah? Ah? No? Okay. Maybe it's just my thing.

I know, Andy Barrie's deep voice is very un-Bee Gee. But the contrast helps keep me awake in the morning. Hey, it's a miracle I'm even up in the morning. For years I was a night person. And during those years, my many corporate stints, my long commutes, and the peer pressure of society in general could not turn me into a morning person. Friends and coworkers used to wag their fingers at me and say: "Once you get a routine, you'll become a morning person."

Nope.

I had many routines. None turned me into a morning person. None turned me into anything, really. I was just tired all the time. And then it happened, the only arrangement that can truly change this man and his habits...

A woman. And her child. And the fear and elation that go with that.

So, now I'm a morning person. I'm usually on my computer before 7:30.

Me, Andy, and the Bee Gees.

Shut up. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home