My Photo
Name:
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The ultimate meaning of life is to embrace that which compels you to act in spite of fear.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Fresh perspective? Fresher bagel

Today at lunchtime I went into the cupboard and pulled out the bag of 12-grain bagels. I took off the clip and parted the plastic. Mmm. Fresh, rich, moist bagels. So I grabbed one, thinking I was about to have a typically pleasurable bagel experience.

What?

What was this? Something I'd never seen in my entire life: a bagel sliced on an angle, so that the bottom half was like a wedge, like a doughy doorstop. As weird as this sounds, for a brief moment I wondered about the all hidden dimensions in the universe. Some quantum physicists say that there may be as many as 10 dimensions, but that we can only work with a "surface" of 3 dimensions ... and the 4th dimension of time. The others are kind of ... rolled up, out of view, so to speak. Part of this theory is the belief that the evolution of life on Earth was favoured by this model, that we humans wouldn't be here without it. I guess we can't handle more than a few perceptible dimensions at any one time. Maybe they are right.

Screw it, I said to myself. The risk of jam on my fingers was just too great. So I put away the defective bagel and grabbed another. Easy. Simple.

Long live simplicity! It's really good toasted, too. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home